How to Build a Raised Garden Bed – Made Easy with the M Brace
Is this the year where you are finally going to have a garden? Maybe you’re wondering how to build a raised garden bed. It’s actually not as hard as you might think–and it’s even easier with M Brace.
Made in the U.S.A. out of recycled sheet metal, the M Brace eliminates the need for screws, nails, or any other kind of assembly material aside from the lumber. In fact, you can put the frame together in about five minutes! It might feel like cheating, but we think you’ll get over it quickly.
Why wouldn’t you just dig up some grass and start planting somewhere in your yard? Well, raised garden beds don’t just look great–they perform well, too.
We’ve already covered getting the M Braces (we have them in stock at DIY Home Center), so the next step is to do some additional planning.
- Consider the size. Three by six is good because you can reach the entire garden. One to two feet tall is ideal. You can build a longer garden, but if it’s your first effort, small and sustainable might be the way to go.
- Find a flat spot. Either make the spot flat (extra work) or find a flat spot.
- Sun is important. Make sure the spot has at least 6 hours of full sunlight.
- Get your lumber. We recommend avoiding lumber that has been pressure treated with chemicals since those chemicals could find their way into the soil–and your food. Redwood and cedar are good choices of lumber because they are naturally rot-resistant. 2×4 and 2×6 boards will work well.
- Fill the raised garden bed. There are some elaborate ways to fill the garden bed. Some people lay down newspaper, then manure, and then the soil. The simple way is to find some high quality soil, order it in bulk, and then fill in your raised garden bed. Pro tip: if you’re building a 3 x 6 raised bed that’s 12” tall, you’ll need about 18 cubic feet of soil.
- Plant your veggies. When you buy your seeds, they’ll have instructions for planting on them. Pay attention to when you should plant and make sure you keep them watered!
- Have fun!
A raised garden bed can be a fun and rewarding project for your yard. The M Brace eliminates all building complication and leaves you with a great spot to grow some vegetables for you and your family. Just imagine how fun it’ll be in a few months to pick those first tomatoes, cut them up, and put them on a home-grown salad. Yum!
To learn how to build a raised garden bed, check out this m brace video: