Preventing premature deck rot can be crucial in getting the most value out of your deck investment. The easiest way to extend the life of your deck is by using flashing, like joist tape and ledger tape, to protect the wood structure from moisture damage such as rot and decay.
1. Joist Tape
A roll of WiseWrap Joist Tape is 3 inches wide, 75 feet long and is 35-40 mil thick. It is for use on joists, posts, ledger boards, end cuts and more.
How to Apply DeckWise Joist Tape
- Cut tape to length. Leave a 1” overlap of tape for joist ends.
- Remove the paper backing, center tape over the joist and press in place.
- Cut slits in WiseWrap Joist Tape at corners and wrap downward.
- Cut & apply Joist Tape on adjacent runs. Firmly fold tape over joist sides and ends.
- Continue this process on all joists.
2. Ledger Tape
A roll of WiseWrap Ledger Tape is 12 inches wide, 25 feet long and 35-45 mil thick. It is larger in size for use on ledger boards, mailbox posts, deck posts and fence posts.
How to Apply DeckWise Ledger Tape
- Measure and mark the face of the ledger board at 7.5”.
- Remove backing & align Ledger Tape along the 7.5” mark.
- Adhere WiseWrap Ledger Tape from the bottom up & fold over the ledger board edge.
- Crease edges and corners tightly moving upward onto the house.
- Finally, use a hand roller to smooth out the LedgerTape surface.
Shop DeckWise flashing tape and more at diyhomecenter.com.